Friday, November 4, 2011

Kapre

Kapre

Description
is a Philippine mythical creature that could be characterized as a tree demon, but with more human characteristics. It is described as being a tall (7 to 9 ft), brown, hairy male with a beard. Kapres are normally described as smoking a big tobacco pipe, whose strong smell would attract human attention. The term kapre comes from the Arabic "kaffir", meaning a non-believer in Islam. The early Arabs and the Moors used it to refer to the non-Muslim Dravidians who were dark-skinned. The term was later brought to the Philippines by the Spanish who had previous contact with the Moors. Some historians speculate that the legend was propagated by the Spanish to prevent Filipinos from assisting any escaped African slaves.
Natural habitat and Attire
Kapres are said to dwell in big trees like acacias, mangoes, bamboo and banyan (known in the Philippines as balete). It is also mostly seen sitting under those trees. The Kapre is said to wear the indigenous Northern Philippine loincloth known as bahag and according to some, often wears a belt which gives the kapre the ability to be invisible to humans. In some versions, the kapre is supposed to hold a magical white stone, a little smaller in size than a quail egg. Should any person happen to obtain this stone, the kapre could grant wishes

 Stories
In the apartment where I used to live, townhouse Apartment, my room was located at the left side of the house. I have one big window, outside there's one big old tree. When you look outside you will see other houses but the old tree blocked most of the views. I choose that room because of that tree because I like the smell of the green leaves and hearing singing birds in the morning.
One night it all changed into something I never anticipated. I was preparing myself to sleep when I have this thought of closing the window that night. I always want the window open because I like the cold fresh air but since I'm already enjoying the comfort of my bed I just ignored the feeling and closed my eyes. A few minutes later as I was just starting to fall asleep I heard a weird voice, it is like someone clearing its throat, and it was very lucid and eerie.

I was alarmed, asked myself "What is that? A dog? There's no dog in this compound (not allowed) and the voice was too big for a dog, a horse? Who will bring a horse to an apartment? It's not possible, oh maybe something from the neighbor? Then what kind of sound would it be?"... Don't know what to think. It woke my veins and blood up so I listened very carefully if I will hear it again. Then there it goes, it's like a short deep hum of an old big person this time, (I can't really explain the exact sound of it) but still deep voice of something really big. I'm all alone in my room and I was stunned.

I still try to make a sense out of it, thinking oh maybe it is just something. But the third time was more terrifying for it became louder and closer to my window. My bed was located at the middle of the window where I can easily peep at that big tree and moon whenever I like... It's a bad idea after all. Too terrified to glance at whatever it is so I just cover myself with my blanket frozen until I fall asleep.

The next morning I told my sister and friends (close neighbors) about it because I want to know if they also heard something like that. They all said it's the "Kapre" who lives in that big tree. There was a time Ryl my friend, was at the laundry room when she smell a tobacco smoke coming from that tree. The laundry room was an open area at the back of every apartment where the tenant could place and dry their clothes from direct sunlight it doesn't have elevated walls so you could easily see the tree. She thought who would light dead grasses in this time of night? She immediately left the room when she remembers the big tree.

Since then I keep my windows closed before it gets dark... A few months later the big old tree was cut down. I don't know if I will believe about Kapre but the voice really scared my whole being.

For those who's not familiar with Kapre:
Kapre is a creature that could be characterized as a tree demon, but with more human characteristics. It is described as being a tall (7 to 9 ft), brown, hairy male with a beard. Kapres are normally described as smoking a big tobacco pipe, whose strong smell would attract human attention. 

My Kapre Experience
by:Mr X

This story happened when I was in my elementary level. It was on summer vacation then and me and my siblings always spend our vacation at may titas house in Project 2, Quezon City if hindi din lang kami uuwi ng province, my parents would love us to expel sa house ng tita ko na sister ng father ko.

I dont know how to describe the whole place but there was a big tree beside of the house itself as in parang naka-sandal yung tree sa bahay. Everytime we stayed there, our room was located at the left side of the house which is nasa tabi ng window yung tree that when you look outside you will see other houses but the old tree blocked most of the views.

When you go outside of the house makikita mo yung malaking playground sa tabi ng tree which doon kami naglalaro, doon na din nagsasampay ng damit yung maid and if ever there is party doon na din ginagawa ang party.

One night it all changed into something I never anticipated. I was preparing myself to sleep, nasa kabilang room pa mga sister ko at pinsan watching a cartoon movie. My tita and Tito was not yet home that time dahil umattend sila ng party, and the maid naman nasa room na nya. I didnt noticed that naka wide open pala yung window infront of the tree. Bigla itong kumalabog as in "blag" talaga...nagulat ako pero hindi naman ako natakot lalo na at naririnig ko naman mga boses ng cousin ko at sister na nag-sisigawan and some neighbors outside, then medyo windy pa sa labas. When I have this thought of closing the window that night...mejo parang natakot naman ako so i went to the room of the maids and ask the yaya to close it for me.

Then she came over, when she is about to close it, we both heard some puffing...
just like puffing of a person who is smoking. We just look at each other but didn’t talk about it. I guess nag-papalakasan ng loob. She still continues to close the window. Then she goes back to her room and I lay down in our bed. That time am still alone in the room. A few minutes later as I was just starting to fall asleep I heard a weird voice, a voice of a big man who is like coughing or saying “ehhurrmmm” it is like someone clearing its throat, and it was very lucid and creepy, then again I heard the puffing. What is very frightening now is he is topping outside of the window!! As if someone is knocking! But who is it? Nasa 2nd floor kaya ang room namin!

The lights in the room was already off, and the curtain of the window is not that thick so you can still spot the shadow outside especially if there were lights outside or if the moon is very shining/clear or if its full moon, you can see any shadow outside of the window. The creepy noise is getting louder and louder that i couldn't take it anymore I quickly stand from bed and there...there i saw the shadow of the big hand!!!! can you guyz imagine that??? shadow of the hand not only a hand but a BIG HAND! and a shadow of a fur around the hand, imagine that!! The gigantic hand was topping or something like knocking outside the window... I was stunned!

..I really Don't know what to do that time, sa sobrang takot ko napaihi na ako sa underwear ko, I swear I experienced that! and i couldnt even shout to call everybody in the house! It woke my veins and blood up. Nakatitig lang ako sa shadow, hindi ako maka-galaw. Naninigas na ako...and i fainted...i duno what happened..



The next morning, when i woke up, nasa harap ko lahat sila, may tita and cousins and sisters...mataas na pala lagnat ko..then kinuwento ko nangyari. My tita knew about the "kapre" pero she didn’t mind me at all, kibitz-balikat lang at hindi manlang nakitaan ng takot, my tita knew about the kapre pero tinatago nya ito sa mga anak nya dahil nga matatakot mga ito.. but because of what happened to me sympre nalaman na din ng mga cousins ko, and because i told them about it.

One more thing, marami na din palang experience yung mga maid at tita ko but they not minding it at all. Esp yung maid naman eh galing ng probinsya at talagang nakakita sya ng mga hindi nakikita ng normal na tao. There was a time that the maid was at the laundry room when she smell a tobacco smoke coming from that tree. The laundry room was an open area at the back of every apartment where the tenant could place and dry their clothes from direct sunlight it doesn't have elevated walls so you could easily see the tree. She thought who would light dead grasses in this time of night?

The following month my tita find a new place for them.

For those who's not familiar with Kapre:

Kapre is a creature that could be characterized as a tree demon, but with more human characteristics. It is described as being a tall (7 to 9 ft), brown, hairy male with a beard. Kapres are normally described as smoking a big tobacco pipe, whose strong smell would attract human attention.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...